Eye Doctor Directory and Eye Care Resource
Welcome to the new Eye Doctor Guide, we make it easy to Find An Eye Doctor and learn about your eyes. We are committed to your eye health, well-being and of course, your vision! Launched in 2006, our goals include providing visitors with a great resource of information about everything involving eye care. Whether you want information on eyeglasses, LASIK, contact lenses, refractive surgery, eye diseases or nutrition, you'll find all that here and more. Join us as we continue to add the most up to date information about your vision.
Check out some of our most popular articles:
Tips for Finding An Optometrist
Not sure what those credentials mean? Use our handy guide below to help determine the best caregiver for your eye care:
- Optometrist - An OD can prescribe basic ophthalmic medications and help recommend prescriptive lenses for routine vision and health problems. Most optometrists also assist with pre and postoperative eye care. An OD has four years of post-graduate training at a qualified institution.
- Ophthalmologist - An ophthalmologist is an MD trained in working specifically with the eye and eye related disease. An MD is a good choice for treating diseases of the eye and for performing eye surgery. They may also perform routine eye exams and prescribe medication when appropriate. Like an OD and MD is also qualified to prescribe corrective lenses when necessary.
- Retinal Specialist - This is an eye doctor (MD) that specializes in laser and surgical treatment of diseases related to the retina. Many concentrate on treating patients with diabetic retinopathy and retinal detachment.
- Optician - An optician isn't a doctor but does need to complete certain training and may have a license in eye care. Many states require opticians be certified so they can fit contact lenses. Most will sell and help you fit your eyeglasses or other eyewear including contact lenses. They will not however, prescribe corrective lenses.
View our Eye Doctor Directory - Learn about Laser Eye Surgery
We hope that the eye care and vision related information on this website will help you make better more informed decisions. Whether it be Eye glasses, contact lenses, safety glasses, or laser eye surgery we will be looking to provide some great information on these important topics.
Recent Eye Related News Topics
Optometrist - Google News
Optometrist - Google News
|Channel: Eye Health / Blindness News From Medical News Today|
Add to:My Yahoo
- Chemists map molecular process of cataracts
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 03:00:00 PST
A team of chemists from the US and Germany has mapped a molecular mechanism that underpins the formation of cataracts - the world's leading cause of blindness, affecting nearly 20 million people.The scientists hope their groundbreaking discovery will lead to treatments that could help prevent the condition.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology and American Academy of Optometry to explore educational opportunities to advance quality eye care
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 02:00:00 PST
The American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Optometry have announced a joint initiative to work together to better prepare and support their members in delivering the highest quality eye care. The two organizations are continuing education leaders for ophthalmology and optometry, respectively.
- New understanding of chlamydial disease
Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:00:00 PST
Investigators at the Institute for Genome Sciences at the University of Maryland School of Medicine have developed a new technique that can track the activity of a disease-causing microbe and the host cell response to that pathogen simultaneously.
- Higher case load lowers cost of repairing bones that protect eye
Thu, 05 Dec 2013 00:00:00 PST
Adding to evidence that "high-volume" specialty care in busy teaching hospitals leads to efficiencies unavailable in community hospitals, a new study by Johns Hopkins researchers finds that patients undergoing repair of traumatic eye socket injuries at its busy academic medical center fared just as well at far less cost than those treated at all other Maryland hospitals.
Directorio de médicos oculistas y guía oftalmológica – Cuidado ocular y recursos de salud.
The information presented on this site is not to be used for diagnosis and or treatment, or to be used in place of professional medical advice from your eye doctor or physician. View our full disclaimer by clicking the link in the left navigation.